Monday, November 12, 2007

Curtain Call

"You are doing it again," Devon's frustration was quickly turning into anger. "What's going on inside that head of yours Janie? You haven't said a word all night?"

"Sorry," I muttered.

"Don't be sorry," he said. "Just tell me what's going on?" He watched me poke at my food for a couple minutes. "If you aren't satisfied with your meal, we can return it and get a new one."

"It's fine Devon," I sighed, poking the mashed potatoes with my fork one more time. "I'm just not very hungry." I could feel his eyes on me, I really didn't want to talk about what was going on, I still wasn't sure what to do about it. Dropping my fork onto my plate, I looked up at him. "Can we just leave? I'm not in the mood to be out tonight."

He hesitated.

"I just want to go home," I repeated. "I'm very tired." Truth of the matter was, I haven't slept that much since I cheated on Devon with Cary. I couldn't sleep, every time I closed my eyes I pictured the smile on Cary's face as he gazed down at me that morning - he looked like he won the lottery. It was that smile that made me pick up the phone numerous times to see what he was doing but I always chickened out in the end. I didn't think I had the right to see him when everything was such a mess in my life.

"Janie!" Devon was giving me a dirty look.

Shaking my head, I tried to figure out what he was upset with. "What?" I looked around, nothing was happening around us.

"Nothing," he snapped as he caught the attention of our waiter. "Let's get out of here."

I wandered out of the restaurant as Devon settled our bill. It was a cold night but I didn't feel the wind through my clothes, I was too preoccupied by my own indecision. I hated it. It wasn't me, I've never been this way before. Growing up, I was always one to make a decision and stick to it, no second guessing, not 'what ifs' or 'buts' or anything. I made up my mind and that was how it was going to be.

But for some reason, this whole thing with Devon has thrown me off balance. I wanted to love him, to be with him but there was something inside me that was telling me it wasn't going to happen. That we wouldn't really be happy together. When I asked that part of me why we wouldn't be happy, I would close my eyes and see Cary's face.

"Let's go," Devon grabbed my arm as he came up along side me, pulling me towards the parking lot where his car was waiting for us.

The drive home was very tense, I could feel him watching me as I stared out the window but he never said anything and neither did I.

"I'll see you later," I jumped out the moment he stopped the car. I wanted to bolt, I didn't want him to come in but he was faster than I thought he would be. He stopped me half way up the walk.

"Janie you have been acting strange all night, tell me what's going on."

"Nothing," I lied. "I just need to be alone right now."

"Why?"

I didn't answer him.

"Come on Janie, tell me why!"

"I don't love you!" I blurted out before I could stop myself.

He stumbled backwards as if I struck him. "Wh - " he shook his head, a small smile on his lips, like he thought I was kidding with him. "What are you talking about?"

"I didn't want to tell you like this," I tried to explain which only seemed to confuse him more. "I thought that I was just going through a weird period - not wanting to see you or talk to you but..." I sighed. "I don't feel like I thought I would Devon, I don't pine for you. I don't miss you when you aren't around. I look for things to do so I don't have to see you."

He stared at me for a while, his jaw twitching under the pressure of this clenched teeth.

"Devon, I'm sorry. I wish I felt differently." I went to reach out to him but he grabbed my wrist, shoving my hand away.

"Don't even think about it," he snarled. "I don't need your pity or your excuses." He spun around and walked away. "Have a nice life you heartless bitch."

I wish I could say that I wanted to go after him but I didn't, I was relieved that he was leaving. The fact that he called me a heartless bitch didn't even faze me.

For that's exactly what I am.

It's been three days since that happened and I still don't feel the least bit sorry, Devon and I were over a long time ago, just neither one of us would really admit it. We tried many times to be a couple but this last time was it.

I have other things to keep me occupied, the biggest event being the trip to the mountains that I have planned for this weekend coming with a group of girls I went to school with.

14 comments:

Melissa Robinson said...

ouch Janie, that was harsh. At least you got it out, because Devon and you both deserve to be happy and together that wasn't happening! I hope you take some time and relax and get to know yourself again before jumping into another awkward relationship! And for God sake! Stay away from Cary. Angela-thanks for making Janie more real!! I sympathize with her A LOT!!!!!! she has become a great character, instead of just Ambers "explainer"

Mehreen said...

I feel bad for Devon, but I suppose it's for the best...

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see Janie is becoming a more mature woman. She could have told Devon she didn't love him in a nicer way, but it's out there now and what's done is done. I can't wait to read about her future love interests!

KBear said...

in all honesty, i dont think she could have been nicer.

look at the bull that Devon has put her through, only acting like he was in love with her when Reed and Amber were around, and then, when he switched to being the sweet loving man she wanted, well, it made me feel funny. like he was up to something, and not doing it for the right reasons.

from reading this diary, i get the feeling that maybe devon makes janie nervous. shes forever trying to be what he wants, and that can take a toll on someone. i probably would have blurted it out too, but look what he's done to her over the last while. how he treats her. he got what was coming to him. maybe hell learn you cant love someone at the last minute and think it will suffice.

great post!

The Middle Child said...

Wow, I can never man up and say what I want to say, I always pussyfoot around it.

Anonymous said...

okay so ive been reading all these blogs from the beginning and at first i was excited that janie was getting her own blog because it sounded like it would be a good one. however, lately, she has been getting on my nerves. she seems like one of those people that you take out to dinner and she cant decide between two choices. and no matter what she orders, she always wishes she would have gotten the other one instead. if she goes back to cary, she will want devon. he's working on becoming the best man he can be and maybe she doesnt deserve him.

Anonymous said...

Not necessarily to defend Janie but...there was a period where she felt totally unimportant to Devon. His main concern was Kelly & the baby and him only showing her attention in front of Reed & Amber, which caused her to build up a lot of resentment. I think by the time he decided to try & change for her it was too late. Cheating on him was NOT right, but I think she just lost it. I had a similar situation and the guy & I would break up, get back together, etc. One day I just lost it and said it was OVER. He just assumed it would blow over like it always did. I was done. I have never spoken to him since.

Stacey

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Rosecheeks18, at the beginning of this blog I really liked Janie she seemed like a real character but after the last couple of posts I actually can't stand her.

Vikki said...

I wonder what's gonna happen on this trip...A new guy perhaps!!!

This break up was definitely for the best.

Anonymous said...

I agree with rosecheks18 and anon 259 all of this has made me look at janie in a different perspective. Yeah its true that Devon put her thru a lot, but I dont like the way she is acting. Devon was right she is a bitch........... However, I loveeee your other blogs and I have read them from the beginning you've got me hooked...

Anonymous said...

I agree with rosecheks18 and anon 259 all of this has made me look at janie in a different perspective. Yeah its true that Devon put her thru a lot, but I dont like the way she is acting. Devon was right she is a bitch........... However, I loveeee your other blogs and I have read them from the beginning you've got me hooked...

Lynn said...

I think Janie was right to tell him how she felt...she could have been a little nicer about it though.

I think everyone would really hate her if she stayed with Devon if she knew she didn't love him - she would have looked like a gold digger.

Just my opinion

Anonymous said...

I understand why he was so into being with the Baby - not so much Kelly- because he loved kids and knew that would never happen for him. I can't stand Janie either. I think she's a snotty brat who needs to make up her mind and get her s#*t together. Devon might not have been the best boyfriend in the world but he was trying. Maybe she should have said lets take a break instead of being such a bitch. I think she just wants what Reed and Amber have, and when she started getting it from Devon she wasn't happy with it. I can't stand her.

Sal said...

It iss good that Janie finally told him. You can not fault her for telling the truth even if it hurts. Maybe one day Devon will realize that what she did was good. Now it should be good for her to just work on herself. See waht she wants out of life.