Sunday, March 9, 2008

Getting Close To Something?

I received a text message last night while I was out to dinner with Devon. I tried to ignore it but Devon heard the beeping and he wanted to know what it was. "It's nothing," I told him without looking at my phone. "If it was important, it would've been a call not a text."

He seemed satisfied with that reply and we pretty much forgot about the text until we were going to leave and my phone started beeping again. "Someone really wants to get to you," Devon joked as he paid for dinner. "Let me guess, it's your other boyfriend."

"That's not funny Devon," I glared at him.

"Come on baby," he reached for me. "I was just kidding."

"It wasn't funny," I informed him before turning to walk out of the restaurant and into the cool March night.

"It was a joke Janie," Devon insisted when he caught up with me. "I know you aren't seeing anyone else."

"What if I was?" I snapped.

"What?" He raised a brow. "What if you were what?"

Frowning, I thought about what we were talking about. I didn't really know what it was that I was talking about. There were times that I was so certain that I wanted no one else but him but then other times?

"Janie?" Devon stepped in front of me. "Is there anyone else?"

I was unimpressed the he actually felt that he needed to ask that - I had spent most of my time with him. "When would there be time for some one else?"

"Are you saying that I'm hogging all your time?" He demanded.

"No, I-"

Shifting from one foot to the other, he stared down at me, "Because all you have to do is tell me and I'll make myself scarce!"

"Devon, I didn't say -"

"Maybe we do need to spend more time apart."

"What?" I shook my head. "Devon, I didn't say that! I didn't say anything! God! Why are you being like this?"

"Me?" He pointed at himself. "I'm not being like anything! I was just joking! I don't think you have another boyfriend!" He cursed and turned away from me.

Without saying anything, I moved behind him. I was shaking pretty badly as I reached my hand out towards his back - I was worried that he was serious about taking a break. At the last minute, I dropped my hand and took a deep breath. "Devon?"

He didn't reply.

"Devon please, I know you can hear me, you are standing right in front of me."

A moment passed and then another. Finally he dropped his chin to his chest and sighed. "What is it you want from me Janie?" He asked softly. "We spend time together, we talk and laugh. I've been patient and understanding, not because I expect something from you for it, but because I want you to know that I'm here for you."

"I know you are," I wrapped my arms around his waist and pressed my body against his back. Sighing, I closed my eyes and bury my face in his shirt as his scent engulfed my senses.

"What do you want Janie? What will make you happy?" His hand covered mine as they rested together at his waist.

It was a very good question and the only thing that popped into my head was. "You."

"Me?" He removed my hands and turned around. "We argue and you walk away -"

"Yes," I nodded. "We do."

"Then I'm not really making you happy."

"Devon," I pulled my hands from his and returned them to his waist. Resting my forehead against his chest, I told him that it was true that we argued and I walk away. "Even the happiest couples I know argue and need to get away from each other from time to time. That doesn't mean that I'm not happy Devon."

He hesitated for a moment, I could feel it.

"Reed and Amber argue," he stated.

"Yes," I smiled. "They do but they are -" My words were drowned out by his shirt as he pulled me to his chest.

He held me and stroked my back. He was quiet for a long time, I had to check to see if I could tell what was going on. When I lifted my head from his chest, he frowned. "I've been wanting to ask you something for a long time Janie but it never seems to be the right moment."

I opened my mouth to ask him what he wanted to ask me but I never got the chance, we were interrupted by one of the restaurant staff as they ran towards us calling our names.

"There's been an accident," the guy told us between gasps for air. "You need to go to the hospital right away."

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

what happened??!?!? and why would devon and janie need to go if they weren't hurt?
ahhhh these cliffhangerssss!!!

MJ said...

hmm only thing i can think of is food poisoning?

rosecheeks18 said...

im sure someone called the restaurant trying to get ahold of them because janie didnt answer her phone. i wonder who was in an accident... amber or maybe reed?

ahh i really love devon. i know hes had his share of issue and isnt always the greatest guy but you can tell he loves her and is really trying to be the best he can

Anonymous said...

haha they need to go to the hospital cause someone else has been in an accident, not them!

KBear said...

im thinking something happened to sean.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it was Sean, why would they call Janie and Devon. I think it must be one of the parents or Amber and Reed or maybe there is something going wrong with Ambers pregnancy.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it is Janie's loser dad. They would call her as next of kin. But I don't know why they would text instead of calling the phone

Anonymous said...

I think it is Sean and it is Amber who was txting her. That he is asking for Janie. Only Amber or Reed would know the restaurant.

Anonymous said...

they obviously need to go see who is in the hospital and for that they need to GO to the hospital.

B

Vikki said...

Talk about a cliff hanger!!

Dido said...

I agree with the cliff hanger thing - how long is Angela going to torture us??!! :)

Stacey