Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Surprising Information

This weekend I spent a lot of time over at Amber's, she had called me up to go through bridal magazines with her. "I think Reed is tired of hearing about the wedding details," she chuckled as she pushed an open magazine across the table towards me. "He tells me I talk about it in my sleep."

I glanced towards the living room where Reed was playing dolls with Alexis on the floor. "I'm sure he just can't wait for the day to come," I looked at her. "Has he tried to convince you to move it up from September?"

She nodded slowly, "I think I'll give in though and get married sooner."

"What?" I stared at her in disbelief. "You've been talking about a September wedding as long as I've known you. Why would you want to move it up?"

"Well," she turned to watch Reed and Alexis for a second before returning to me. "I don't want to be as big as a house in my wedding photos."

I frowned, "As big as a..." my eyes widened. "You're pregnant?"

"Yes!" She squealed in excitement. "I took a test this morning, it was positive. Reed wants to wait until I see a doctor before telling our parents but..."

"This is awesome!" I exclaimed as I gave her the biggest hug.

"I know," she hugged me back. "I'm so happy right now."

"I bet you are," I couldn't help grinning like an idiot, her happiness was infectious. "I bet Reed is too." We both turned towards the living room, Reed was now watching the two of us with an amused look on his face.

"He didn't believe me when I told him," she told me. "He demanded to see the test so I brought him into the bathroom and showed him. He stood there for the longest time, staring down at the test, I thought he was upset because he didn't say anything to me. Finally, he turned towards me and pulled me into his arms. His voice broke as he told me how much he loved me and how happy I make him."

"He cried?" I thought that was the most amazing thing ever.

"Yes," she nodded. "He had missed out on being there for Alexis, the idea of being here for our second baby got to him."

I could understand how it would be an emotional moment for both of them, they worked so hard to be where they are today and their upcoming wedding and arrival of their second baby was very much deserved. "I'm so happy for you," I told her. "And a little jealous."

Amber laughed, "Janie you can be as happy as Reed and I are, all you have to do is figure out what it is that would make you happy."

Since the day at the restaurant, I've been spending a lot of time thinking about where I am in my life and where I want to be. I know I'm still very young and I don't have to have my life planned out completely right now but I feel that if I don't start getting serious about what I want, I'll end up with nothing.

"I know," I slumped back down into my chair. "I've been thinking about a lot of stuff since the fire."

"Like what?"

"That life's too short, for starters." Amber agreed with me and then asked me what else I was thinking about. "I've been thinking that I don't want to end up like my parents, pretending that I care about someone when I don't. I don't want to end up alone and miserable like my mom did. I don't want to be the one who causes someone else to go off the deep end either."

"Just because your parents are like that Janie, it doesn't mean that you will be."

"I'm not so sure," I told her. "I've already made a mess of the relationships I've been in."

"No," she shook her head. "You haven't Janie."

"No?" I laughed. "What about Cary? I told him I would marry him when I didn't love him and I ended up hurting him when I slept with Devon. And Devon!" I shook my head helplessly. "I can't get that man out of my head at all and we've been nothing but toxic to each other for so long."

"I thought things have been different lately," Amber stated. "I thought Devon was being supportive and caring like you needed him to be."

"He is, I've told him that too." When she gave me a questioning look, I told her about the day Sean came by the office and we ran into Devon at lunch. "Devon was amazing that day, I thought he would freak because Sean has been ribbing him every chance he gets but he was so cool."

"Janie," Amber glanced away from me, sighed and then looked back. "I have to admit that I don't like whatever it is that is going on with you and Sean. Not only does it have the chance to hurt you, this relationship can hurt many people I care about, especially Reed. Now," she held up her hands as I started to protest. "I'm not saying that you can't see Sean, that's totally up to you. I just want you to know that I love you and I'm behind you, but I'm scared because both guys are so close to Reed."

My first thought was to tell her that this wasn't about her or her precious Reed but I didn't because I knew what she meant. No matter what, they would be affected if I got involved with Sean.

I started to laugh and Amber got all upset. "It's not funny Janie! You know how close Reed and Devon are, they are like brothers! And Sean, well, he is Reed's brother."

I held up my hands in mock surrender. "Amber!" I choked out as I tried to control my laughter. "You have nothing to worry about."

"I don't?" She didn't look convinced. "I think I do if you are going out for lunch with Sean during the day and having dinner with Devon at night."

"No you don't," I insisted.

"Why don't I?"

"Don't be stupid Amber, it's not who you are."

"Janie," she glared at me. "I'm not being stupid, I don't know what you mean."

"I'm not going out with Sean," I informed her. "I'll never be going out with Sean, I don't care for him that way at all. As far as I'm concerned, he's just Reed's brother and your soon to be brother in law but nothing - and I mean nothing at all - to me."

I thought Amber would be happy about that but she looked horrified as she looked over my shoulder. I had a sinking feeling I knew what I would see before I even turned around but that didn't stop me from looking behind me to see Sean frozen in spot just outside the kitchen.

18 comments:

ctiger said...

Oh poor Sean. But whatever happened with Devon. Did he come over that night after the whole thing in the restaurant? The text messages about seeing her instead of just talking on the phone? I need more. LOL. Love all your blogs.

Chris

Mehreen said...

I actually love that this happened. She never would have had the guts to say that to his face and if that's what she means, he needs to know and move on. Now if only Devon could overhear a conversation when she proclaims her love for him...

Anonymous said...

ouch that has got to hurt...poor Sean!

Dido said...

I think Janie should be with Devon! I think Sean is a good guy, but Devon has really been trying to make it work and her heart belongs to him!

Stacey

KBear said...

i dont trust devon.

i think sean is the way he is because he's insecure, and has had is life torn apart by finding out he's adopted and his new family is full of a bunch of snobs.

Carmel Beauty said...

I wish that hadn't happened I like Sean I know he may not be the one for Janie but that was the wrong way to show it.

Carmel Beauty said...

I wish that hadn't happened I like Sean I know he may not be the one for Janie but that was the wrong way to show it.

Anonymous said...

hahaha hilarious

Vikki said...

Whoa!! That's gotta hurt...

Can't wait to see the next post!!

Anonymous said...

Ouch! That's gotta hurt! Poor Sean, maybe he'll give up on Janie now. I still don't trust Devon, and I hope Janie isn't stupid enough to.

Nic said...

Poor Sean but he should know the truth. Janie needs to be with Devon, at least for a while. Or Sean needs to change, I don't like him this pushy.

The Middle Child said...

Oooops!

He can't say he didn't see it coming though, she has been trying to tell him she doesn't want to see him.... he practically forced her to have lunch.. so he'll get over it... or he'll turn into a stalker... ha.

Melissa Robinson said...

I think sean deserved it! He has been nothing but obnoxious and rude to janie since day one! She told him she isnt interested and he wont leave her alone!

Anonymous said...

Poor Sean!!! But no one even mentioned Amber being pregnant AGAIN!! Gezzz how old is this girl?!?! 20?!?! I wish it were that glamorous and easy in real life.

Anonymous said...

There's nothing glamorous or easy about it, it's about living with the choices you made and making the best of them.

Anonymous said...

um I wasnt making a bash against the blog..I was simply stating that I wish real life was as easy as blog life.

I used to be one of those readers who thought dont write something if you dont want a response. But now I see no matter what anyone writes here, it will always get attacked.

Anonymous said...

~totally confused~ an attack? If responding to comments left on my blogs are attacks then I've 'attacked' every single person who has commented since the beginning and so has every other blogger who have writing in their comment sections.

I've never stopped anyone from saying what they like here and I expect that all commenters understand that I will respond with what I feel is appropriate. It's only fair, otherwise why have a comment section if I can't interact with my readers?

Mehreen said...

Angela, I love that you interact with your readers. Lauren, I don't think you were bashed, but I do think you made a valid point. I was a little shocked Amber got pregnant before her wedding, but she did go into the situation with her eyes open and she is lucky, most 19-year old single mothers wouldn't be in this situation...but she is marrying rich so it is a lot easier for her to raise 2 babies at 20, especially since she works at a day care!