Sunday, February 3, 2008

Nervousness

"Janie? Baby are you there?" Devon's concerned voice came over the phone.

"Yeah," I shook my head in confusion, "I'm here."

"Oh, for a moment there, I thought you hung up or something. You didn't answer my question," he informed me.

"What?" I frowned, I was pretty damn sure I was the last one to say something and he had yet to say something about it.

"I asked you how you could be sure I wasn't the same man," he paused and then told me that I went silent.

What? I told you I loved you! I found myself thinking. "I replied," I told him curtly.

"No Janie, you didn't, that's why I asked if you were still there."

"But I just..." Did I?

"You just what Janie?" He was starting to sound a little impatient. "Are you going to answer my question?"

"I..." Now that I realized that whole telling him I loved him was all in my head, I felt a little weird about saying it like this. I didn't want him to misunderstand what I meant or think that I just said it to make him believe that he's changed. So I copped out and told him something else. "I think I should know, more than anyone else, whether you have changed or not Devon. I'm telling you, you aren't the same man you used to be and, to be honest, I'm very happy about that."

It sounded lame and I hated that I chickened out.

"Uh oh," he chuckled softly. "Heads up, Sean just left the table; I think he's coming for you."

I hung up from talking to Devon just as there was a knock on the bathroom door. "Janie?" Sean called out to me as he inched the door open. "Are you ok? You've been gone for a while and I...well, I'm hoping you are in there and didn't run out on me." He gave a nervous chuckle and asked, once again, if I was there.

For a moment, I thought about not saying anything to make him think that I did run out. That moment passed and I went over to the door. "I'm here," I peeked through the opening he made. "What are you doing lurking outside the lady's room?"

He smiled, "Just waiting for the prettiest lady I know to come out and finish her lunch."

I rolled my eyes, "Don't get cute with me Sean; I'm still mad at you."

"Janie, I'm sorry. I didn't mean..." He trailed off as an older lady come up wanting in to the bathroom. "Can we talk about this back at our table?" He moved aside for the woman to pass but his eyes remained on me. "Please Janie."

We made our way back to the table, I promised to sit and listen to what he had to say but I didn't think it mattered, I didn't believe there was a thing he could say to make me even the least bit interested in talking to him beyond lunch.

He started talking - just telling me things about himself - his earliest memories, his childhood friends, how he felt about his parents divorce and how he knew he didn't fit in with his family. "I just thought that every one felt that way but when I found out I was adopted, it all made sense." He sighed, "Some times I wish I didn't know that I was adopted, maybe life wouldn't have seemed like it was all a lie."

"Finding out you were adopted doesn't make the life you led a lie Sean."

"How do you know?" He asked, "You don't know what it's -"

"Actually," I reached across the table and touched his hand. I don't know why I did it, I'm still wondering. I think, maybe, it was to convey that I did know how he felt. "I was adopted," I told him. "I don't know who my real parents are and, as you know, I lost the only mom I had."

"Oh," he looked at me, his surprised expression quickly faded into a grimace. "That's why you flipped on me Christmas Day, wasn't it? There I was bitching about not feeling like I belonged and missing my adoptive family when you..."

"Don't have anyone?" I finished for him.

"Well," he leaned in as he took my hand in his. "You have so many people who care about you Janie." He paused for a beat, "Including me."

"Sean..."

"Janie..."

I pulled my hand out of his and leaned back in my chair, "Don't make fun of me."

"I wouldn't dream of it," he leaned back and crossed his arms.

"You are doing it again!"

"Janie!" He groaned, "Would you stop it? I'm not making fun of you."

"Yes you are!" I insisted. "You are doing it right now and you do it every time you call me 'Spitfire'."

"No," he shook his head. "That's not me making fun of you, that's you making me nervous."

"Yeah, right," I scoffed. "Why would you possibly be nervous around me Sean?"

"Oh I don't know," he glanced away and then turned back to stare at me. "I wish I knew why I can't get you out of my head. I wish I could forget about you because, let's face it, you are way too young for me but..." he bit his lip as he shook his head. "I still kick myself for not kissing you when I had the chance."

17 comments:

Mehreen said...

Ugh, I still hate Sean and I wish Janie had the guts to tell Devon how she feels. I also wish she would tell Sean how she feels about Devon so he stops having hope about her.

Anonymous said...

Hhhmmm...I kinda like Sean. I am wondering if this will go anywhere, though I do still like Devon too, but he needs to work more for Janie.

Anonymous said...

team jordy vs. team josh was hard enough now we got team sean vs. team devon? oh man, i switch between teams so often my head starts to spin!
awesome post! loved it

MonkeySpeak said...

What's their age differece?

Anna said...

Well...I believe, if memory serves me right ~l~ Sean is five years older than Reed. Reed is 26 so that makes Sean 31. Janie and Amber are both the same age, 20. So Sean is 11 years older than Janie.

Melissa Robinson said...

i am team no one really for janie. I dont like sean that much and i dont care for devon

Carmel Beauty said...

I am not sure who I want janie with right now I agree with leonre and she needs to explore her options. I don't believe she is ready to make a commitment to anyone at this time

Anonymous said...

Blech...Sean needs to go back from where he came. He does nothing for me. I <3 Devon.

Anonymous said...

I think Sean could be good for Janie. They have a lot in common, and I think Sean could tone Janie down. She's a little dramatic and selfish. I don't care how good Devon seems now, I don't trust him!

Vikki said...

I'm team devon also!! He's come such a long way.

Anonymous said...

I don't know who I would like Janie to wind up with yet, but I think that things are going to be a little crazy before she settles down.

Anonymous said...

I agree with mlg6504..i'm not a big fan of Sean or Devon.

Anonymous said...

Throw us a bone here Janie, we need more of this blog!!

Anonymous said...

okay so considering janie just thought how she loved devon now more than ever.. would it make sense for her to then just do into seans arms? i know she hasnt yet, im just saying.

maybe im just trying to rationalize that she should stay away from sean and stick with devon, considering i love him too. yay devon

Anonymous said...

new post PLEASE =)

Anonymous said...

You can't change how your heart feels...

Anonymous said...

ok I'm dying here I need a new post!