Monday, January 21, 2008

To Tell The Truth?

"Lenore," I smiled sweetly at her. "While I appreciate your concern and I value your opinion, I know what I feel," I pressed my hand against my chest. "In here."

Lenore perked up, "What would that be dear?"

I placed my fork and knife down on the table in front of me and picked up my napkin. "Well," I spoke into the napkin as I gently wiped my mouth. "While Sean can be a nice guy I, personally, find him to be a little annoying and pushy. I don't see there ever being anything between us besides, maybe, friendship."

"Oh you don't mean that Janie," Lenore waved of what I said as if I was a silly child. "You should ask Sean out - go on a few dates - get to know him; you'll change your mind about him, I'm sure of it."

"I don't want to go out with him," I told her.

"Don't be silly," she slid her chair back from the table. "You should call him tonight, make plans to see him this weekend." Before I could tell her I wasn't going to call him, she jumped up and told me she had his number in her address book. "I'll be just a minute," she told us as she hurried out of the room.

I sat frozen in place as I stared at the empty space that she occupied only moments ago. I'm beginning to see what Amber was talking about all these years; Lenore is difficult! I didn't realize I said that out loud until I heard a chuckle. Slowly, I turned my head towards Carl, I forgot that he was still in the room. "I didn't mean any disrespect," I told him quickly, totally embarrassed.

"I know," he smiled at me. "Once Lenore gets an idea in her head, she doesn't know how to take no for an answer but she means well Janie."

"I guess she does but I'm not used to someone trying to..." I wanted to say 'control' my life but was that really fair? Yes, she wanted to be give Sean a call and go out with him but other than that, she was really nice to me.

"I'll tell you the same thing I used to tell Amber - humor her. It's easier to make Lenore understand that something isn't going to work, if you make an effort." He took a sip of his water. As he returned his glass to the table, he asked me if there was any reason I couldn't go out with Sean. "Are you seeing Devon again?"

"Well...."

The thing is, I wasn't. Devon and I didn't talk about getting back together at all. Sure, he was all touchy feely and romantic while I was staying with him but since I moved out, I barely see him. I know that it has a lot to do with our schedules and it was easier to make the time when we were tripping over each other at his place but I had hoped that it would continue. Although, he does call me every night, even when he's swamped at work, he's calling me to 'say hi'.

"Here it is!" Lenore called as she walked back into the room. "There you go dear," she handed me a sticky note with Sean's phone number on it. "I really think you should call him tonight Janie."

Since telling her that I wasn't sure that I would be anything more than friends with him didn't get her to back off, I tried it from a new angle. "I'm not sure Lenore, isn't it a little trampish for a young woman to 'chase' after a man like this? I mean, he does know where I live and I'm sure, if he was interested, he could easily get my number from Amber or you or even me for that matter. He hasn't because he's not interested in me."

"That's possible Janie," Lenore agreed. "Although, I think it was interesting that he was waiting for you Christmas Day."

I had nothing to say to that. I didn't understand why Sean was waiting for me that day and he didn't shed any light on the subject either.

I left their house that night having promised Lenore that I would call him before the weekend.

I didn't but I told her I did. Now she wants to know what was said, when we are going out and where we are going.

So I have two choices, tell her I lied or actually call him and ask him out.

I think I'm going to have to fess up to my lie because every time I reach for the phone to call Sean, I picture Devon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Figure things out with Devon. Don't start dating Sean and make things messy.
L

Anonymous said...

nothing like your mom pimping you out for dates eh, sean? lolz...

Vikki said...

I agree with L!!! Tie up the loose ends with Devon first.

Mehreen said...

Seriously, pushy Lenore! I knew this would happen when Janie moved in. She just needs to put her foot down or find new digs...preferably back at Devon's! =)

Anonymous said...

Anon 12:11---Lenore isn't Sean's mom, she's Amber's mom.

Carmel Beauty said...

I agree with L

Anonymous said...

Hey, I love the new layout! It's very easy to read!