Sunday, January 27, 2008

Caught You

I planned on telling Lenore that I didn't call Sean but I waited too long. I didn't even know it was too long until noon last Thursday when I looked up from the memo I was reading to see Sean making his way across the floor towards me.

"Who is that?" I heard the office whore, Jill, whisper from the doorway to the coffee room. I could picture her adjusting her cleavage like she did every single time there was a good looking man in the room.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Jill heading towards Sean as he reached my desk. With a flip of her platinum blond hair, she flashed him a smile and held out her hand to him. "Hello, I'm Jill, how can I help you?"

"Actually," he sat on the corner of my desk, crossing his arms as he looked down at Jill. "I'm here to see Janie," he leaned in and whispered, "She's all the help I need."

Jill raised a brow in shock. She went to say something but Sean was already turning around to face me. "Good afternoon Sunshine, can I take you to lunch?"

"Well I sorta..." I motioned towards my desk, as if I had lots of work to do still.

"Unbelievable!" Jill scoffed.

"Janie did I tell you I had an interesting conversation with Lenore this morning?" He paused, glanced at Jill and then back at me. "Do you know what she had to tell me?"

My eyes widen, "She didn't!"

He nodded slowly, "She did."

Crap! "She didn't know what she was saying."

"Really?" He raised a brow, "She seemed pretty sure that -"

"Sean!" I jumped out of my chair, cutting him off before he could spill anything to Jill. I didn't need her to know any of my business - she tried to get with Devon when we were dating before, I didn't want that to happen again - he is mine.

I guess it's needless to say that I ended up going out for lunch at Ember Cafe, the same place we went the night I injured my ankle. Like that night, I really didn't want to be there with him but he seemed to be oblivious.

"I have to ask," he said once the waitress brought us our lunch and refilled our glasses. "Why did you tell Lenore that you called me? How did I come up in conversation between the two of you where she would think you'd want my number?"

I thought for a while - thought about telling him some bullshit lie but suddenly my mom came to mind and I started to think about how little time I could have - I didn't want any more bullshit than I really needed. Honesty was something I decided that I was going to try out for a while. See how it fit.

"Lenore thinks that you are interested in me," I told him point blank and I swear his jaw dropped to the table top. "She doesn't think that Devon is good enough for me and wants me to ask you out."

When Sean didn't react right away, I didn't know what to think so I continued. "I told her I wasn't going to ask you out but she insisted that I take your number and call you anyway." I sighed, "She kept bugging me so I told her I called you."

Silence settled over our table. I felt a little uncomfortable, I wanted him to say something - anything, I didn't care. Finally, after a couple rapid blinks, he cleared his throat. "Wh -" he frowned and reached for his glass of water, almost knocking it over in his haste. I waited for him to take a drink and then asked him what he was going to say.

"Wh - wh - " he coughed and then started again, looking a little confused. "Why does Lenore think I'm interested in you?"

I started to reply right away but slowly trailed off as his question sank in. "Wait a minute?" I leaned in over the table. "You aren't interested in me?" He didn't have time to reply for I shot off a series of questions. "What's with all the flirting then? The attitude towards Devon? The nicknames, what are those all about? And what about Christmas Day when you said you told Reed you were waiting for me? What was all that about Sean?"

"You know Janie," he grinned as he leaned back in his chair. "For someone who claims not to be interested in me, you seem a little too ticked the possibility that I'm not interested. Are you sure you are in Devon as much as you say you are?"

"Whatever!" I rolled my eyes. "I don't care if you are interested or not Sean."

"Uh huh," he chuckled. "Whatever you say Sunshine."

I turned my attention back to my food, ignoring him.

"Oh come on Janie," Sean reached his hand out towards mine and I pulled it away. "What do you want me to do?" He asked. "Tell you that you get to me?" My head shot up. "Is that what you want Janie? To know that you are always on my mind? Do you want to know how much I wanted to kiss you the night you hurt your ankle?"

I looked down at my plate.

"You were there Janie, you know how close I was to doing just that."

"Why didn't you?" I found myself asking.

"Look at me Janie."

Slowly, I tilted my head upwards until my eyes locked with his. "I wanted too," he admitted.

"But you didn't," I said unnecessarily. "You walked away from me that night."

"Yeah," he nodded slowly. "I did. I was staring down at you, you seemed like you wanted me to kiss you but there was something holding you back...Devon."

"What? Why do you think -"

"No, Janie," Sean motioned behind me. "Devon."

I quickly turned around, just in time to see Devon's smile, the one his lips turned up in when he spotted me, turn into a cold stare as he realized that I wasn't alone. I watched him lean in to say something to the guy he was with, the guy nodded and went with the waitress; Devon straightened his tie and started towards us.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhhh I so want to know what is gonna happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love the new layout =)

Anonymous said...

haha, this should be interesting

Mehreen said...

Janie is just flattered. Sean totally had her number playing dumb. Devon will act the gentleman he always is. Why does every office have a whore? Amber had penny, Janie has jill. Anyway, I really hate how presumptuous Sean is and I hope Devon acts like the perfect boyfriend he has been.

Nic said...

Trouble :D!!!!

Mehreen, every office just has its whore. In my office it was a manwhore.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if Devon will be calm about it all or not, he may cause a scene.
As for the whore in the office, we actually have 2. I think they compete with each other, and one of them is actually married!

The Middle Child said...

Tee hee hee, in a bit of a pickle eh?

This was a good post, as all of your posts are!!

Anonymous said...

SO GOOD! Please don't make us wait long for the next post. I want to know what Devon does.

Carmel Beauty said...

Why you always get caught Janie I mean everytime Devon must have you on GPS or something?

Anonymous said...

What does Janie do for a living?

Vikki said...

Here comes another pissin' contest!! I'm with caramel. Devon's got Janie lo-jacked!!

Cna't wait to see what happens next...

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh this is gonna be goooood!!! : ) I say give Sean a chance!

Anonymous said...

ppppleeeeeaseeee dont make us wait until sunday or monday for another post! this has become my favorite blog and i cannot wait to see what happens.

p.s. i hope devon doesnt act like an idiot. and i hope janie doesnt give sean a chance.