Friday, April 25, 2008

Face Off

He just left. He looked guilty. He shook his head. And then I watched him open his door.

But I wouldn't watch him drive away with her. I refused to watch him betray me.

Without a word, I turned and headed back to the restaurant's parking lot. I didn't even bother to see if Sean as following me or not. I really didn't care at that moment, I just wanted to get out of there and get back to Amber. I needed to concentrate on something other than the stabbing pain in my heart.

It hurt, more than anything else I've ever felt. I trusted him. I let him back in and I believed that he had changed, that he loved me and really wanted to be with me. It was all a lie. He was the same self centered jerk that he has always been - screwing with my emotions and not caring that he hurt me.

But what pissed me off the most was the fact that he blew off going to visit his best friend, who could die, to fuck around with that skanky whore. A well dressed, beautiful skanky whore, I thought bitterly. When I started to wonder what she had that I didn't, I knew it was time to shake myself out of it and forget about it for now.

I turned suddenly and grabbed Sean's arm. "Do you think Amber is having a good time with Alexis?"

He nodded, a small smile played on his lips. "I'm sure she is, she's been missing Alexis."

"Yeah." I chuckled sadly. "Alexis has been walking around calling out to both Amber and Reed since I brought her home. Dev -" I stopped short.

"Janie..." Sean's arm wrapped around my shoulder as I tried to fight the tears. "It's ok," he spoke softly. "You'll be ok."

"Ha," I laughed. "I expected some snarky comment from you." From under my lashes, I glanced up at him. "What's wrong?"

With a shrug he told me that I was old enough to take care of myself and nothing he could say would make the situation better. "Although," he paused for a moment. "I will say that I believe Devon is a moron; you are a good person."

I laughed. If I didn't, I probably would've hugged him for not making some snide comment about Devon. "Thanks," I smiled as we approached my car. And then changed the subject. "Back to the hospital?"

A comfortable silence settled over the car on the drive back to the hospital. It was nice, I really wasn't in the mood to say that much.

When we arrived at Reed's room, his parents and Amber's parents' were all gathered around the bed with Amber and Alexis.

"What's going on?" Sean demanded as he hurried over to his brother's side. "Is everything -?"

"His fingers twitched!" Amber exclaimed as she threw her arms around Sean's broad shoulders. "I was sitting here watching Alexis as she laid down with Reed and his hand twitched - twice!"

"Oh my God!" I ran over to them. "That's wonderful! What do the doctors say?"

Amber shook her head, "They tell me not to get too worked up over it, it could be just a muscle thing but -" she turned to gaze adoringly at Reed. "I know he's coming back to us, I just know it!"

It was exciting news and the first thing I thought was, I wish Devon was here to see it, before I could stop myself.

Amber rambled on and on about the spiel the doctors gave her and how exciting it was to see him move something but I barely heard it. I was trying hard not to think about Devon and the blond chick.

An hour later, after promising Amber I would bring Alexis by the next day, I finally was able to leave the hospital.

On the drive home, all I could think about was the struggle ahead of me. About how difficult it would be to get Alexis settled down for the night without Devon there to help me. Alexis loved Devon and she did everything he wanted her to without much fuss.

I wasn't prepared to see Devon's car sitting in my driveway. It actually pissed me off that he had the nerve to show up at my place after I saw him with her. My only hope was that he was grabbing his stuff and would be gone in no time.

My front door swung open as I walked up the path.

"I didn't think you would ever come home," Devon exclaimed as he watched me climb the couple steps to the door. "I've been waiting for an -"

"Don't even," I snapped when he reached out to touch me. "Grab your stuff and get out of my house."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

uh ohhh! i wonder how devon acted before when he cheated and she found out? if he's acting differently then maybe she should give him a short minute to explain, then demand he give her the phone number and call her. even if devon gets pissed, she totally has that right for how much he screwed with her before. ORRR! she could make him put alexis down so she'll go down without a fight and kick his little ass out! even if he wasn't cheating, teach him to just let his girlfriend get so worked up for an entire day over that slutty blonde girl. either way, cheating or not, devon was totally in the wrong.

Anonymous said...

Janie, please listen to him, sometimes there is a good reason for what she saw, it may have been perfectly innocent.......please listen first, then kick him out!
Sandy

Heather said...

This reeks of overreaction. I don't think he is cheating on her at all. And lets think here: Janie was with Sean, so how do you think that made Devon feel since he knows for a fact Sean wants Janie.

Anonymous said...

I don't think he cheated! I know he was a jerk in the past and cheated, but so did she. Give him a chance to explain!

Carmel Beauty said...

I agree she needs to give him a chance to explain first.

Mehreen said...

He left and he shook his head, he was probably disappointed to see Janie strolling around w/Sean when he thought she was at the hospital. Seriously Janie, if you love him, at least listen!

Dido said...

Holy Moly! I agree with everyone. Janie is a little sensitive and prone to overreacting. I can understand part of it, but as everyone else has said - she was all "cozy looking" with Sean.

KBear said...

she's not kissing sean on the cheek though is she?

and he knows how she feels about sean, and he knows that sean's brother is in the hospital, so to a rational person, the hand holding looks more sympathetic. at least to me.

but being with a client, woman or whatever, and putting his hand on her lower back and kissing her cheek, and then just shaking his head and leaving?

if i were doing nothing wrong, I woulda waved hi, and then pointed to them so my "client" would see and say "yeah! that's my girlfriend, and my best friend's brother! please! let me introduce you!"

Vikki said...

I'm with kbear. Devon acted like he was guilty of something. It may not be as serious as Janie thinks, but something is up. I do think she should hear thim out though, and then kick his @$$ to the curb :^ )

Great Post!!