Monday, October 22, 2007

Interruption

"I'll be right back," Devon stood up, telling me that he was going to the bathroom. "Don't go anywhere."

"I won't," I smiled at him. The night was going a hell of a lot better than I thought it would, I was having a blast, I felt that this was a turning point in our relationship but I was a little weary about it too. How could I not be? Devon hadn't shown me interest before like he did that night. I wondered if it had something to do with Cary or if he was really trying.

He did come to the office, I reminded myself. He never did that before. But he saw the flowers. I sighed. Although, he didn't seem to care too much about them, he didn't get mad like I thought he would.

I hadn't noticed that while I was thinking, someone had walked up to our table and had said hello. It wasn't until a hand touched my shoulder and I jumped that I realized Colin was gazing down at me.

"I didn't mean to scare you," he flashed me a smile. "You seemed really lost in your thoughts. Is everything ok?"

I nodded, "Yeah I was just thinking about something that happened earlier today. How are you doing?"

"I'm doing ok," he glanced around. "I'm waiting for my mom to show up, we have dinner here once a week to catch up on what has been happening."

"Oh?" I frowned, "but don't you work at your mom's daycare? That is what Amber said, wasn't it?"

He laughed, "Yeah, I do until she finds someone to replace Penny."

"Crazy psycho bitch!" I snapped before I could stop myself. My eyes went wide, I covered my mouth. "Sorry," I mumbled.

"Don't worry about it," he reached for my hand, his fingers circling my wrist as he gently pulled it away from my mouth. "Penny was crazy, I tried to look beyond it, even defended her until I found out she was cheating on me and trying to ruin Amber's relationship with Reed."

I closed my eyes, feeling even more stupid for my outburst. "I forgot you were her boyfriend."

"Yeah," he shrugged. "One mistake that I wish I could forget about." His eyes went to the front entrance for a second before coming back to me. "So what are you doing here? Was that Devon I saw walking away from here a couple minutes ago?"

"Yes it was, we are having dinner."

"Oh," he scratched the back of his head. "I thought you had a boyfriend? Amber told me you did."

I smiled, "That would be Devon."

Colin's jaw dropped. "Devon?" He said his name like he thought I was kidding but wasn't sure if he should laugh. I nodded. "Huh?" Whatever he was going to say after that, I don't know. That's when Devon came back.

"Get lost," he snarled at Colin.

"Devon!"

He glanced at me before turning back to Colin. "Stay away from my girlfriend."

"Now that's not very nice Devon," Colin laughed. "I think I told you that before, you didn't listen, why should I?"

"Because," when Devon took a step towards Colin, I jumped up.

"Devon what are you doing?" I managed to get him to back up a little.

"Why are you protecting him?" He demanded.

"I'm not! I just want you to sit down so we can continue with our evening. Colin," I threw a look over my shoulder. "Is leaving."

Neither one of them moved, they were locked in some kind of stupid staring contest. "Devon please?" I begged as my fists gripped his shirt. "We were having such a good time, I don't want anything to ruin that."

Devon looked down at me, his jaw was clenched, his eyes were cold. For a moment there, I thought he was going to push me out of the way and beat the crap out of Colin.

"Ok," he agreed as he relaxed a little.

"Ok," I smiled, turning back to the table. "We were talking about dessert before you had to get up, I was thinking that the cho -"

"No Janie," Devon stopped me from sitting down. "I think we are done here."

I said, "But dessert..." the same time Colin snidely said, "Running out before dessert Devon? Not very gentlemanly of you."

"Don't you have something to do?" Devon glared at Colin, the tension returning to his body.

"Oh forget about it," I grabbed my purse and headed for the door. I heard Devon call out after me but I didn't stop. I retrieved my coat from the coat check and pushed out the door.

"Janie would you..." I didn't hear the rest of what Devon had to say, the door closed behind me.

I knew it would take a couple minutes for him to come outside with me, he had to pay for dinner but when ten minutes had passed by, I started to wonder if he was coming at all.

"Miss are you sure you don't want to sit in the car while you wait?" The valet had brought Devon's car around when I first come out through the door but I refused to get into it. It was idly running in the drive. "It's pretty cold out tonight," he told me. "The dining room staff informed me that your companion will be a couple more minutes."

"Fine," I sighed as I walked over to the car where another valet was holding the door open for me.

Five minutes after I got into the car, Devon finally came out of the club. "Janie I -"

"Just take me home Devon." I couldn't even look at him. Without a word, he did as I asked.

He didn't try to stop me when he pulled up in front of my house and I jumped out. I thought he was just going to drive off but as I walked up the path to the front door, I heard his engine go quiet and a door open and close.

"Thanks for tonight," I turned to him when he came up the steps to stand with me. "For the most part, I had fun."

"You speak like you think the night is over."

"I don't want to fight with you tonight," I told him. "I just want to go to bed."

His eyes lit up as he gave me one of his killer smiles. "That works for me."

"Devon I don't..." he placed a finger over my lips, silencing me.

"I'm hoping that you'll let me in," he informed me. "I don't want tonight to end like this and besides," he lifted his right hand up, showing me the paper carrying bag with the club's name and emblem printed on it. "I went to a lot of trouble to convince the staff at the club that they would be doing me the biggest favor when I asked for this."

I eyed the bag. "What is it?"

"Well, you'll have to let me in to find that out."

"Devon," I tilted my head to the side and gazed up at him. "Why can't you just tell me what it is?"

He gave me a devilish grin. "Ok, it's something that will make you think I'm the greatest guy in the world."

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

The dessert she wanted?

Anonymous said...

Another early post, this Monday is GREAT so far!!

Thanks Angela!!

Anonymous said...

anon 7:53...
Yeah I think she needs to get a dictionary...I do believe they carry them at Wal-Mart...

Anonymous said...

To anon 9:30: That was plain mean. Who are you? Jeez, Angela has mentioned before that she is not the best speller in the world, but really who care? I don't think it is affecting her fan base!

I read it as "dessert" and that is right anyway.

Shelly
Angela fan forever (AFF)

Anonymous said...

Seriously Anon 9:30, grow up. Criticism about the story/characters/etc. is one thing (and Anglea welcomes ALL of it), but being snarky over a simple mistake? That's rude and immature.

I'm with you Shelly, AFF!

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

I don't see any spelling errors. Whats with you Anon 9:30? Angela works evening and comes home to post on the blogs for our enjoyment and all you can do is made snide remarks about the spelling? Get a life!

I love that Devon is treating Janie well, she deserves it. But if my husband came out of the restroom and saw some guy rubbing my wrist and hand I think he would be upset too, and he doesn't have a jealous bone in his body. Maybe there is something in the past between Colin and Devon that produced so much tension, I don't recall anything in the story about it though.

Vikki said...

AFFs of the World Unite!!!

Devon has it in him to be a good boyfriend, but those moments are very few and far between. She usually has to get mad at him for him to do right and sometimes that doesn't even work.

Grrrr...He's so frustrating!!

Great post!

Vikki said...

Oh yeah, and there is CLEARLY something up with Devon and Colin. I can't wait to find out what it is!!! Maybe there is a Penny connection there...

The Middle Child said...

Definitely dessert! Good boy!

Anonymous said...

Count me in...AFF!!!!

I don't know what it is about Devon but I get a little mad about some of his behaviors but he is ALWAYS able to suck me back in!!! Must be that bad boy rep.
~M

Nic said...

AFF all the way.

Is Devon finally going to be the best boyfriend?

MonkeySpeak said...

ya know the funny thing is, i think anon 753 was guessing what was in the bag - anon 930 was trying to be a smartass and came up looking like a jackass.

just for future reference, make sure you are correct before you make a snide comment. And anon 9:30 chill out with the ellipses, what, are you pausing to think real hard between each snarky remark? :) should we read the comment as if the last syllable is always unstressed and drawn out? sorry, if you are gonna be rude, expect it to come back at you.

devon needs to get his car in gear. he can't be the knight in shining armor when it suits him (i.e. when he is scared of losing janie). i dont think a guy needs to be overly romantic, like reed is, but janie is right - the little things like reaching for your hand makes you feel so special sometimes. or a stolen kiss. or a ride through the country on the back of bike and the roar of the engine. yum yum. haha.

Anonymous said...

There's definitely a Penny or another connection between Devon and Colin. Devon told Colin to "stay away from his girlfriend" and Colin said it was funny because he had told him that once before and Devon didn't listen. Gotta love it!

MonkeySpeak said...

woah, just read comments on the other post. malicious lil people out there huh.

and obviously some people who dont understand writing comes naturally to some (that doenst mean they will be the best editors in the world, just they have talent) and it doesnt take 5 hours to write a page or two or three of a story.

but bright side, i think when you start to get negative comments on a blog, you know you are doing well. traffic must be up and there are always snarky nitpicky remarks on blogs where ppl come to have high expectations. ive never seen a blog without a jerk commenter... especially when the blog is doing well.

Anonymous said...

Hey anon...we here like the posts the way that they are. Why don't you go find another blog to read if you can't handle a mistake. We don't need the negativity.
L

Anonymous said...

Hey L!
Go get a kleenex! Stop whining like a baby! Just enjoy the dumb blog!

Mehreen said...

The only mistake I saw was "weary" which should be "wary", but it's not like the mistakes take away from the story. It's always clear what she's trying to say, and she says it well! Oh, and I hope it's the chocolate cake, I bet they'll find a fun way to eat it too!

Anonymous said...

I have an idea! How 'bout (that was spelled incorrectly on purpose!) we ALL totally ignore any comment that is left anonymously? If they don't have the kahunas (look it up---it's spelled correctly) to leave their name, we just simply ignore.
Whaddya think (That too was spelled incorrectly on purpose, all you anonymouses)?

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait for a post to this blog again! I love Amber and Reed's story, but now you've got me hooked on Janie and Devon!

I know he probably brought her the dessert she wanted, BUT it could be something else. And what's up with Colin and Devon? Like Vikki said, is there a Penny connection there (ewwww)? The suspense is killing me!!

AFF!!